Summertime is not the only time you can make strawberry preserves. Frozen strawberries are widely available and perfect for preserves. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
- 1 package (1 lb.) frozen whole unsweetened strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup water
- 2-1/2 tablespoons no-sugar-needed fruit pectin powder
- Place strawberries into 2-1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH, 3-4 minutes or until strawberries are thawed. Crush strawberries using potato masher (about 2 cups crushed). Stir in sugar, lemon juice and zest.
- Place strawberry mixture into microwave. Microwave on HIGH, 5 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from microwave. Stir in water and pectin. Microwave on HIGH, 5-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until mixture bubbles and begins to thicken. Remove from microwave; transfer to jars. Seal jars; cool. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
*No-sugar-needed fruit pectin powder allows you to reduce the amount of sugar added to preserves, making this a lower-in-sugar and healthier option.
*Sugar mixtures bubble and rise during microwaving. Stirring mixtures every few minutes prevents bubbling over.